Sunday, April 30, 2017

Run with the Lions 5k year 4

This 5k race put on by runners for the kids gets better every year. I write about this one after every race and again was not disappointed http://www.runwiththelions.com/

The Run with the Lions 5k takes place at Warrenville's scenic St James Farm forest preseve at the end of April and I was there for my fourth year. This year a few of my Bolingbrook Fun Run Club buddies joined me and kindly hiked the course with me due to a possible IT band issue.


Picked up my race stuff on Wednesday at Longwood Elementary school. The race is a benefit for the school's PTA so they can provide activities for the kids that attend the school. They also encourage the kids to be a part of the race, either volunteering or running. The race stuff was another awesomely designed tech T shirt, a race bib and a bag full of sponsor info and coupons. There was also to be a medal upon finishing followed by sponsor food for refreshment at the end.

I get to races early and found myself parked two cars from Gladys, BFRC Pres. Funny I found she was parked there due to social media. Kristin, another BFRCer joined us in Gladys car and we chatted about a spectrum of things before braving the chilly day to head over to the start line. Start area photos were taken before the announce told everyone to go to the start line


BFRCer's Kristin, me, Gladys (photo by Gladys)


Left feet first (photo by Gladys)


We let the fast folks line up ahead of us and then joined the hikers. Right after the start the course hit a grass allee section then out to a wide grass section through a meadow then onto my favorite part a section of muddy single track that past the creek that runs through St James. That was the first 2/3 of mile. The rest of the course was the familiar groomed limestone trails that Du Page forest preserve install in most of their trail systems. Of course we joined on an up hill section but it was scenic as we went through a wooded area and around a few lakes. As I was familiar to St James having ran there a lot I gave Gladys a grand tour including pointing out the high school course cross trails

Gladys and I near mile 2 (photo by Kristen)

The course also took in part of the Illinois Prairie Path before rejoining the St James Farm trails for a loop by some of their famous buildings.

St James building (photo by Ian)


Gladys, Kristin and I finished strongly in a good time for three runners hiking the course. We high fived the school Lions mascot on the way in and a volunteer presented each of us a finishers medal, The medal is different every year and incorporated the race shirt.

After race food was provided by a number of the sponsors included soup, sandwiches, bagels  banana, potato chips and water. There was also a fund raising silent auction which had many awesome items to bid on. Hopefully they raised a ton of funds for the PTA.

Year four was another fine event and a great success for all. Thanks to Longwood PTA, all the volunteers, sponsors and runners/walkers. I will be back for year five and recommend you join me.

Race course (via Run with Lions 5k website)

(All photos and logo owned by Gladys, Kristin, Ian or the race) 

  

  

No comments: