Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Soldier Field 10 - signed up





http://www.soldierfield10.com/

I signed up for Fleet Feet's Soldier Field 10 mile scheduled for May 28th.

After running 9.7 miles on the roads and bike paths of the Chicago lakefront the race enters and finishes on the half way line inside Soldier Field. Most people know this venue as home to the Chicago Bears. I've only seen one Bears game but spent six years watching MLS' Chicago Fire play at Soldier Field along with many an international game and friendlies. Now you see why I say half way and not 50 yards.

I am looking forward to this race. I've always wanted to do it but never been able to. Life gets in the way at times. Last year I was at the event working the Clif Bar booth handling out Clif products and samples. I had a blast walking around the expo area before the race with a messenger bag stuffed full of Clif Shots gels and Clif Shot Bloks handing them out to many a smiling face. During the race I ducked into Soldier Field and saw runners crossing the halfway line. That was neat. Clif Bar will be back at the race as a major sponsor this year and although I'll not be working the booth or the messenger bag this year I guess I am running with Team Clif Bar. I won't be the fastest and likely closer to the back of the back (more running time for the entry I say) I am going to enjoy the race and all the Chicago Lakefront as to offer.

I don't do many races. Last year I did 7 varying in length from 5k to 50k plus an orienteering race. All these races were on trails, either dirt or limestone. In 2009 I did four races and three were on trails. I like trails, a lot as my blog title says. Therefore my last race on the black top was 18 months ago while doing the 4 mile http://www.wozhawarun.com/ in Wisconsin Dells. Sure I do some training on the roads but prefer to hit the dirt or limestone. I'll have to do a few long runs on the roads in next few weeks. I've run up to 12 miles this year (my first ultra is not till the summer so not rushing the build up) but that was on trails. I should be fine but I bet I'll be more sore from this road race than any recent trail race.

I can't wait

Legal stuff: Fleet Feet Soldier Field 10 logo owned by Fleet Feet Chicago. Clif Bar logo owned/trademarked by Clif Bar

3 comments:

KovasP said...

Sounds like fun, Ian! While I much prefer trails, it's good to mix it up on the roads as well sometimes.

Chris Ⓥ said...

Ian,

Glad to see you are regularly running races again. Sounds like fun finishing at the "half-way line" in Soldier Field.

Go Chelsea!

Eric B said...

Have fun Ian. I think you will do great, should be fun finishing in Soldier Field.