Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Six weeks of Yoga Fundamentals

Never tried yoga before but decided to give it a go. Local yoga studio offers a six week fundamentals (beginners) workshop. Did some research and they came recommended. I had a blast and would recommend yoga to all and especially runners. First four weeks we learned the asana (poses) of Hatha Yoga. Each week would start with a recap and then move to new poses. Week five we put it all together in a teaching set up plus a few more poses. Week six was done like a "real" level one class.

Two days before the last class I had ran the Rock Cut HOBO 50k. Thought I'd have an issue doing this last class but in fact it stretched out the tad achy sore legs and I felt great. In the six weeks I learned so much and did so much, what an adventure of discovery. I have a lot still to learn and likely messed up some poses even after six weeks but Claudine is an awesome yoga teacher and with helper Karen guided us and reset us.

I intend to redo the fundamentals calls again as I am not quite ready for a regular level one class and again I'd recommend yoga to all runners


Photo above taken at the last class ("borrowed" from Living Yoga Facebook page)




2 comments:

KovasP said...

I'm always tempted to add yoga, but so far funds and time have conspired against me. Sounds like a great way to start.

Kim said...

I would love to take a class like that! I think the teacher's input would be so helpful!